Thursday, 28 January 2010

Psychometric Profiling

Anyone clued-up on the subject of psychometric profiling will probably have heard of the Myers-Briggs type indicator. While I was browsing Jobsite's interview advice section, one of the questions asked, 'what is your Myers-Briggs profile?' and as I didn't have the slightest idea what it was all about, a quick Google session later and I'm up-to-date on the subject.

After completing the seventy-two questions, I was amazed and intrigued at the same time. The accuracy of my profile stunned me. It was as if someone had looked into a crystal ball and found out everything about me. There are more modern and advanced tests, or supposedly so, but I personally like the original Myers-Briggs type indicator for its simplicity and hard-to-beat correctness.

This test is fun from a personal perspective, but also useful to study and highlight areas of your character that can be improved upon. For instance, I have an inventor-rational profile ENTP and can come up with lots of ideas, but can be distracted by smaller details instead of looking at the bigger picture.

Also, one can use the test as a personal barometer. Since I've worked as a supervisor my profile has changed to ENTJ, which I can only put down to not looking at things from a personal perspective and thinking like a leader.

Go ahead and try the test for yourself.
http://www.humanmetrics.com/cgi-win/JTypes2.asp

The Jobsite test I tried was quite interesting, though the full report is too detailed to include here. You get a summary, however, that looks like this:

Jobsite Personal Profile

David, your profile type is:

Contender

As a Contender, you're likely to believe at times it is necessary for work to come before the family, with the knowledge that the family will benefit in the long run from your success.

No comments:

Post a Comment